Friday, October 12, 2012

End of the First Quarter

I can't believe the first quarter of school has come to a close.  What would be the perfect way to get ready for the rest of year.. go to California with family for Fall Break! We just got back home from San Fransisco and Sonoma.  We took a tour of San Fran on segways which was so fun! If you have the chance to ride one you need to do it.  It took me a while to get the hang of it.. after jumping ship twice and giving the locals some entertainment.  It was also Fleet Week, so while riding the segways we were also watching the sky as planes were doing amazing tricks above us.  The Blue Angels then did an air show, which was so amazing! I felt like Tom in Top Gun!

Keeneland is in full swing and I will be attending this weekend! If you've never been to Keeneland you need to put it on the top of your to do list in Sharpie! Nothing is better than Keeneland in the fall: gathering with friends and family while watching the horses race.

Back to the Classroom:

With a new quarter comes a clean grade slate; all my students have A's and I get to start new pages for grades in my grade book! (You know you're a teacher when you get excited about starting new pages in your grade book!)

We did so well last quarter and ended it with a bang! Each student was sprinkled with glitter before their end of the quarter assessments and it did the trick! They did so well and I'm a proud mama duck!

Our classroom has adopted new technology! We now have a document camera and Apple TV in addition to our SmartBoard and iPad! We are LOVING it!

We have done several labs in science and the students are already wanting to dissect!

Float or Sink Lab


We have learned so many math concepts too! Fractions, decimals, percents, and integers!

I created a new bulletin board outside of the room for students who get 100% on an assessment.  I took the idea from a friend, whose seventh graders love it.  "Slow and steady win the race!" The students get to put their name on a turtle and put it on the bulletin board.  I'm excited to get the students motivated to get their turtles in the hallway.

Soccer has also come to a close! We ended our season with a blow out and the girls had so much fun.  Getting to know the students outside of class is a great experience.

ZUMBA!!! I forgot about Zumba.  I went to Glow -n- the Dark Zumba with two other teachers from school and it was so much fun! We Zumba'd for two hours in the amphitheater by the river while wearing glow sticks.  This encouraged me to do Zumba with the kids on Friday before Fall Break.  We set up a platform and I led three songs and danced with approximately 200 students! It was a blast and the perfect way to end the quarter!

My goal is to keep my blog up to date for the remainder of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment